Our Storied History
How BAJS was formed
Bishop Arthur Henry Anstey, an Englishman and fourth Bishop of Trinidad and Tobago, did much for our country, both spiritually and educationally. He was instrumental in establishing Bishop Anstey High School in 1921 with which the Junior Department later became associated when, in 1939, a small private Kindergarten, housed in the Victoria Institute, found itself without a headmistress.
The wife of the Colonial Secretary suggested the school should be incorporated into Bishop Anstey High School. This suggestion was implemented and the children were soon housed in two large rooms, in a newly-built two-storey block, which was dedicated on February 2, 1940, by His Lordship the Bishop. Miss Richards became teacher-in-charge under the headship of Miss Dorothy C. Shrewsbury of the High School.
For more information, please contact us. We are always glad to help.